Kauhaneva-Pohjankangas National Park is located in the municipalities of Kauhajoki and Karvia in the Southern Ostrobothnia and Satakunta regions of Finland.
- The National Park was established at 1982 and covers 57 square kilometers.
- It consists of swamp areas, mainly bogs such as the 16.3 square kilometers.
- In 2004, the park was included in the Ramsar Convention on Wetlands of International Importance. It is also part of the Natura 2000 network of protected areas.
- There are two ring routes in the Kauhaneva – Pohjankangas National Park. One of them is the Kauhalammi nature trail, which is about five kilometers long. The route can be reached from the Salomaa and Nummikangas parking areas. In winter, the road to the car parks is only plowed during the ski holiday. Kauhalammi Nature Tower is located along the route. One of the ring routes is Katinkankierros, where you leave from the Katinkanjoni parking area.
- The national cycling route number 44 runs through the national park along the Kyrönkangas summer road.
- There are two campfire sites in the national park: one in the Salomaa camping area and the other in the vicinity of the Kauhalammi nature tower. Each fire site has a well and dry toilets. There are no rubbish bins in the national park area, so hikers have to take most of the waste out of the park. However, digestible waste can be placed in the toilet or composter and clean paper or cardboard can be used as a igniter.
- There are no facilities for the disabled in the national park, and the long wooden path is not suitable for them due to its narrowness. Instead, there is a plank trail on the Kyrönkangas summer road that is easy to walk in a wheelchair.
- When coming from south drive on the main road 3 (Tampere – Vaasa) to Parkano, where turn to west on the road 274 to Karvia. From Karvia follow the signs of Kauhaneva-Pohjankangas National Park (10 km) to Salomaa parking area (Kyrönkankaatie 357, Karvia).
- When coming from north drive on the main road 3 (Tampere – Vaasa) and at Kurikka turn to the road 67 following Kauhajoki signs. From the road 67 turn left still towards Kauhajoki. From the road 44 drive on the road 6700 towards Karvia. From this road there are signs to the National Park from Nummijärvi on Kyrönkangas summer road (=Kyrönkankaan kesätie) to Nummikangas parking area (5 km).
- Please notice that the Kyrönkangas Summer Road is blocked with bars between Salomaa and Nummikangas parking areas, and it is not in good enough condition to drive.
By Public Transportation
- There is coach service (www.matkahuolto.fi) to Karvia from Pori. From Karvia it is about 11 km to Salomaa parking area in the National Park.
Customer Service and Guidance
- Tel. int. +358 206 39 5270 (mon-fri 09:00-15:00).
- Email. firstname.lastname@example.org
- Seitseminen Nature Center is responsible for customer service throughout the year.
Please read instructions and rules in Kauhaneva-Pohjankangas National Park before visiting.
You can leave your photos and review at the bottom of this page! Enjoy your visit!